Witch’s Finger Cookies
Witch’s finger cookies are a fun and spooky treat perfect for Halloween parties or gatherings. They’re typically made to look like severed witch’s fingers, complete with almond fingernails. Here’s a recipe to create these eerie and delicious cookies:
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red or green food coloring (optional)
- Almonds, blanched and whole (for the “nails”)
For the Decoration:
- Red gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- Black gel food coloring
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Beat in the egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- If you want to add a creepy touch, you can knead a few drops of red or green food coloring into the dough to create a pale, eerie flesh tone. This step is optional.
- Shape the Fingers:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (163°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take small portions of the dough and shape them into finger-sized logs, about 3-4 inches long. Roll each log into a rough finger shape, making sure to create knuckles and wrinkles to mimic a real finger.
- Use a knife to make small slits for the knuckles and a blanched almond at the tip for the fingernail. Press the almond into the dough slightly to secure it.
- Bake the Cookies:
- Place the shaped fingers on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden. Keep an eye on them to prevent over-baking.
- Decorate the Fingers:
- After the cookies have cooled, use red gel food coloring to create “blood” around the base of each almond nail and in the knuckle slits.
- You can also use black gel food coloring to add some creepy lines and wrinkles to the fingers.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Arrange your witch’s finger cookies on a platter and serve them at your Halloween party or event. Watch your guests’ reactions as they enjoy these spooky treats!
Witch’s Finger Cookies